Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Progression of a Free Form Collage

One of my ongoing goals in the studio is to document my work as it develops.  However, I usually become so absorbed in the process that I forget to look up, time is suspended, I am in the zone. But it is intersting to to be able to look back. This is my latest piece, 'Turbulence', a collage of recycled papers mounted on 140 lb. watercolor paper.


I had the title in mind before I started, and a vision of intense blue as the base.


Working without a sketch or a photograph allows abstract idea to unfold in a unique way.


Structure or compositional rules can be wrestled with as the piece progresses.


I think find this technique allows me to crate a more dynamic image.


Because the picture surface is static, creating the illusion of movement requires a composition that is not read left to right, like a book page, but draws the eye by a variety of visual paths.


I turn the composition as I work on it to keep that flow in mind.


Here is the final composition again. 


Everyone experiences a piece of art differently.
I decided to call this piece 'Turbulence', but I would be curious to hear any other ideas for a title!
What title would you choose?

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed the journey! Thank you for stepping out of the flow and snatching photographs. C

    ReplyDelete